History of Carmel
The very first name for the geographical area now known as Carmel, Indiana, was "Tadpoles Glory." Full credit for the name has been given to the Miami and the Delaware Indians, the first known occupant of the territory. Apparently the neighborhood known as "Old Carmel" was very swampy and full of tadpoles.
The second name, Brewittsville, came into being around 1829 . . . in honor of the first trader to settle the area . . . John Brewitt.
The third name, Bethlehem, was established in 1837 by the community's four founding fathers, Daniel Warren, Alexander Mills, John Phelps and Seth Green. A plat was recorded with the State of Indiana. As a result of the rapidly growing population, Bethlehem became eligible for a post office in 1846. However, there was a problem. Indiana already had a post office by the name of Bethlehem. So the townspeople were given an option. Come up with a new name if you want a post office.
A town meeting was called to choose a new name. One of the male leaders suggested the biblical name of Carmel (Isaiah Chapter 35, Verse 2). The name was accepted on the first ballot. It was later learned that the name had actually been suggested by a very diplomatic and wise lady, Elizabeth Peele.
From 1837 to 1874, the civil government of the Carmel community was the town meeting. In 1874, residents of the town voted to the city to become incorporated. Consequently, a Town Board was elected to govern the town and make the laws.
In 1976, one hundred and one years later, the town voters overwhelmingly voted to make Carmel a city.